I love almost everything about Thanksgiving and Christmas. I don't love the crowds in stores and I don't love the heavy commercialization of Christmas that has pretty much stomped out all that Thanksgiving stands for, but I'm a fan of everything else.
Weirdly, I have a lot of rules for myself when it comes to Christmas and the holidays.
1. I always adopt two Angels from the Salvation Army Angel Tree. And I always adopt one boy and one girl. And I always get them the toy of their choice and a couple outfits. Sorry kids who want bikes and video games, someone else will have to pick you. I just can't afford it. But Barbies and Cars? I'm all over that!
2. The only Christmas shopping I allow myself to do before Thanksgiving is Angel Tree shopping. Why? Because I refuse to deal with toy aisles when I get too much closer to Christmas. Also, the deadline for having gifts purchased, wrapped and back at the tree is December 11, which doesn't give me a lot of time after Thanksgiving to get it all done.
3. I love peppermint mochas, but I cannot allow myself to order one before Thanksgiving. It feels too much like I'm cheating on pumpkin spice lattes. I expressed to Paul the other night how much I wanted a peppermint mocha and how bummed I was that I couldn't have one. He didn't quite understand my plight.
4. I love gravy on dressing, preferably when combined with mashed potatoes and turkey. But the ONLY time of the year when I can eat this is Thanksgiving. Otherwise it just tastes wrong, delicious, but wrong.
5. Christmas music must not purposefully be played until after Thanksgiving. Though I'm not going to lie, I cheated on this one this year. I caved to the pressure of every store I've walked into since Halloween and listened to some Christmas tunes a few days before Thanksgiving. But I didn't enjoy it as much because it's just wrong.
6. Christmas decorations do NOT go up until the month of December. I don't care if the mall was decorated a week after Halloween. I don't care if Thanksgiving is over, so now I'm "allowed" to do it. I will decorate in December, like the good lord intended.
Do you have any weird rules that you can't let yourself break? And what's your favorite seasonal coffee?