Thursday, June 28, 2012

Summer Reading

I recently discovered the magic of reading at the gym.  A couple months ago I downloaded Chasing Mona Lisa by Tricia Goyer and Mike Yorkey to the Kindle app on my phone.  I've had the app since I got my phone over a year ago, but I'd only used it one time, to read a short story that was only released a an  ebook.  But when a facebook friend posted that Chasing Mona Lisa was free that day, I figured I'd give it a shot.  That day at the gym I pulled the book up on my phone and realized that I could increase the font so that I could read it without squinting.  After I finished that book I downloaded Sprig of Thyme by Jenna Dawlish (again, for free) and I finished it in just a week's worth of gym trips.  

I grew tired of the free options on Amazon and decided to check out my library's ebooks and now I'm obsessed. One day, through blogs and the library, I truly found magic.  

.

It's safe to say that The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern is now one of my favorite books.  I truly felt like I was being transported to another world while I was reading.  I would love to give a synopsis of the book, but I don't think I could do it justice.  I will say that it's about a very special circus (obviously) and a competition.  And it has a wonderful cast of characters that I fell in love with.  I didn't  want the book to end and delayed finishing the book because I didn't didn't want to say goodbye to the characters.  I would recommend this books to anyone, especially anyone who has read and enjoyed Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs. Like Riggs' novel, The Night Circus is full of magical realism and it's easy to transition from one novel to the other since reality has already been somewhat suspended.  

The Night Circus is available in hardback, audiobook, and ebook form,  and will be released in paperback in July.  Do yourself a favor and pick it up.  

No comments:

Post a Comment