Sunday, December 9, 2012

12 Crafts of Christmas: Santa Planters

I was really on a roll this weekend with finishing up projects and actually writing about them.  That is probably due, in no small part, to the final paper deadline that is looming in my very near future.
 
I like to think that today's project could make a great gift for neighbors, teachers, coworkers...anyone! Also, like all my favorite projects, it's SUPER cheap to make.  I already had some of the items on hand (and you probably do too!) so I only spent about $5.
 
Santa Planters
 
 
What You'll Need
Clay Pot. Do you realize how cheap these suckers are?  Like, less than $2.  Crazy!
Red Paint.  If you've read any of my posts involving paint before, you know I spray paint everything and this was no exception. I use Krylon Fusion. You can get it at Walmart and it's the best I've found.
White paint or primer (optional)
Painter's tape
Black acrylic paint
2 Sponge brushes. You could just use one and wash between uses, but a lot of times you can find them for 20/$1 at Michael's, so I just stock up then and throw them away as I use them.
Metal Washer. I went to Lowes and got a pack of 4 for something like $1.50. 
Mod Podge
Gold or silver glitter
Hot glue gun
 
What You'll Do
1.  If you're using primer, apply a layer of it to the pot.  I just used .99 white paint to dull up the base color so I wouldn't need as many coats of red. Let dry.
 
2.  Paint the whole thing red.  I painted the inside too.  I applied 3 coats. I sat the pot upside down for the first coat and flipped it right side up for the rest.  Let dry completely between coats.
 
 
3.  Bring your pot inside.  Put painter's tape around the bottom of the lip of the pot. Mine wasn't perfect, but you can't really tell.


 
4.  Using a sponge brush and black paint, paint the area above the tape black, including the rim.  Let dry.
 
5.  Using a sponge brush, apply a layer of Mod Podge to one side of the washer. Immediately sprinkle glitter over the washer and shake off the extra glitter.  Set aside to dry.
 
 
6.  Once the first layer with glitter is dry, apply a thin layer of Mod Podge on top of the glitter and let dry. The top coat will help the glitter stick to the washer. 
 
7.  Apply hot glue to the back of the washer and attach to the pot's "belt."
 
 
I'm going to fill mine with homemade candy or cookies for a Dirty Santa party, but you could also put a plant in it (I'd get a plastic liner if this is the case), put some foam in it and make a cookie or cake pop bouquet, fill it with fresh oranges, or really anything that you can think of.

No comments:

Post a Comment