Tuesday, November 6, 2012

12 Crafts of Christmas: No-Sew Burlap Bunting

I have a plan, guys.  I have a plan to make 12 things this Christmas season.  And blog about them.  That's 12 tutorials in just over a month and a half.  Can I do it?  We'll see!  I'm calling it my 12 Crafts of Christmas and I'm pretty excited about it.  We're going to have some ornaments, some wall decorations, and a lot of fun with clay pots.  I'm kicking things off with a project that I've been pretty excited about since I stumbled across it on a blog I follow pretty religiously, E, Myself, and I.  Last Christmas she blogged about her Christmas decorations and I saw this awesome bunting banner made of burlap.  I immediately pinned it to my Holidays and Entertaining a Crowd board.

Source
There was no tutorial for this bunting (I'm pretty sure it's not homemade, but who knows?), but I decided that I could make it anyway.  So I went to a couple different crafting stores (it's all about the coupons, baby!) and came up with a plan. 


No-Sew Burlap Bunting
What You'll Need
Burlap. Mine came from a roll.  If you want your triangles to be bigger than mine, you might want to use a sheet of burlap instead.
Twine.  Go thin, but not too thin. 
Good scissors
Paint. I used white, but you don't have to.
Sponge paint brush
Round sponge
Stencils. Technically you don't have to have them, but I , trust myself to free-hand when it came to paint. I used one with a sticky backing.
Hot glue gun

What You'll Do

1.  Cut your burlap into triangles. I free handed a triangle on a piece of cardstock and used that as a guide.  They aren't perfect, but we're talking about burlap and twine, so they don't really need to be.  I do think it's important to make sure you have at least one finishe edge.  The top of each of my triangles had a finished edge.

2.  Cut out your stencils and place them on your triangles. Place the triangle on something on which you don't mind getting paint.  Using your brush, dab the paint over the stencil.  Don't use brush strokes because you might get paint under the stencil.


3.  Remove the stencil. I did this while it was still wet but I don't imagine you would have to.


4.  Useing the round sponge and paint, polka dot two of your triangles and then let dry. 

5.  Measure and cut a piece of twine.  I just unfurled mine form the spool and held it up to the doorway where my bunting will hang.

5.  After everything is dry, line your triangles up along the twine.  There are several ways you could attach your twine.  I decided that hot glue would be best.


6.  Using a hot glue gun, I applied a thin strip of glue along the top of the center triangle and then laid the twin on top.  I starte with my middle triangle and then worke my way out. 


7.  Hang up your country chic creation! 



My triangles aren't perfect, and neither is the spacing, but I really love this sucker.  The best part is that storage is going to be a breeze.  All the triangles fold over on themselves, so this is how much room it will take up:


How awesome is that?  I hate when Christmas decorations take up a lot of storage space so this one makes me really happy. I'm really excited for December now so I can hang this baby up.

1 comment:

  1. So sweet! I think my sister would love this. I'll have to send her your way ... :)

    ReplyDelete