Tuesday, September 4, 2012

30 Before 30: Eat at New Yorker Deli

Saturday was a lazy day.  It was so lazy that I can't seem to remember what I did.  I slept in super-late, wore an outfit I wasn't crazy abou, and took a stroll around Target and Sam's.  And that's really about it.  But then Paul came home and must have known that I needed to accomplish something, so he suggested that we go to the New Yorker for dinner.  I don't know if he remembered that it's on my 30 Before 30 list or not, but I'm telling myself that he totally remembered and was excited to help me mark an item off the list.  I'm sure his suggestion had nothing to do with his wanting an italian sub. 
When I first created my list and linked to it on Twitter, one of my local followers suggested that I bring cash.  I remembered the suggestion right when we pulled in the parking lot, and sure enough, a sign on the door informed us that they don't take credit or checks--cash only.  So after a quick trip to the ATM, we returned.

The atmosphere can best be summed up by saying it felt like somewhere the cast of Mad Men would stop and eat if they're on a roadtrip. It was a very no frills kind of place.   It was all dark wood and vinyl upholstery and, basically, exactly what you'd expect from the outside.  We sat ourselves and ordered off the paper menu at the table.  Paul got an italian sub and I ordered a roast beef sub. I was a little concerned that it didn't come with a side and thought I would be hungry after, but I definitely wasn't.  The sandwiches were HUGE!  I don't have a picture, but it wasn't really pretty.  And it didn't need to be, because it was delicious.  We both managed to polish off our sandwiches, but I saw a woman ask for a bag for her leftovers and she was presented with a square of tin foil and a brown paper bag.  Hey, I said no frills, didn't I? 

I give the experience a thumbs up.  The food was good and the music, which included both Rick Astley and New Kids on the Block, was top notch. What?  Those artists are top notch to me!  I also dig me some Toto.  If you're in Roanoke in the Williamson Road area I'd definitely recommend it.

Have you tried out any new restaurants lately? And when was the last time you were at a restaurant that only took cash? Blast from the past, I tell you!

2 comments:

  1. This sounds delicious! (Did you know your photo isn't working in Google Chrome? Thought I'd give you a head's up.)

    The last time we ate somewhere that only took cash was at the Chapel Beach Club on the NJ shore -- yes, that shore, but no, not that shore, haha. If you can believe it, we've actually been to places that don't take cash, which blows my mind ... Is that legal? To not take your own country's currency? Haha.

    Anyway, if we're ever back in 'Noke, I hope I'm able to try New Yorker Deli!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for lettng me know. It's actually not working in Explorer anymore either. I had to borrow that image from a google search so I'll have to stop and take another on my way home.

      I don't think I've ever been anywhere that doesn't take cash. I can't imagine why a business would do that since they have to pay a certain amount on credit card purchases. Strange.

      Delete