Thursday, September 15, 2011

Kitchen Art

I couldn't help but feel bothered by how bland my kitchen walls have felt lately, despite the bright yellow paint everywhere.  I decided to take the framed monogram that I did for my gallery wall and do something similar.  I decided  I was going to frame eating utensils and I was pumped about the idea.  And I love how it turned out.  Once again I forgot to take before and process pictures and am instead left with nothing more than a pretty blurry phone picture, but you get the idea.


Custom Kitchen Art

What You'll Need

1 picture frame, mine is 9x12*
Fabric (or scrapbooking paper)
1 spoon, 1 fork, 1 knife**
Spray paint
Hot glue gun***
Spray adhesive

What You're Going to Do

1.   Take the frame apart and paint the front of the frame.  Mine comes out from the wall a bit so I had to paint the front and back.**** 
2.  Paint the front of the  utensils the same color as the frame. 
3.  While your paint dries, cut your fabric to measure the length and width of the glass or plastic from the frame.  
4.  Using spray adhesive, attach the fabric to the plastic/glass.  Let dry.
5.  If your spray paint is dry, flip over the frame and utensils and paint the back of them.
6.  After everything is dry, put the glass back in the frame.
7.  Using a tape measure, make three marks on your fabric, equidistant from each other.  
8.  Using hot glue, attach your utensils in whatever order you desire. 

*Goodwill is AWESOME for picture frames.  If they're empty they're only .50 each and if they have art in them, they aren't too much more and you can chuck the art.  I'm telling you, a little spray paint goes a LONG way!
** I bought my utensils from Walmart for a total of three dollars.  I got 5 forks, 5 knives and 5 spoons.  The extras will be donated to my office's break room.
***I found a hot glue gun and glue sticks for less than $5 at Joann Fabrics.  It's small but it does the trick.
****PLEASE do all your spraying outdoors or in a well-ventilated garage. 

I'm more proud of my kitchen art than of anything else I've crafted lately, probably because I wasn't copying anyone--it was all my idea.  I have one other large gaping space on another wall so I'm considering doing the same thing as this one, just using a wooden spoon instead.

Do you have any "custom art" in your house?

No comments:

Post a Comment